Monday, August 9, 2010

Miniatures make a big impact

Ever since I was a little girl and received my first set of dollhouse furniture, I've been fascinated by miniature collectibles.
There is just something magical about tiny versions of the real thing.
I'm amazed at the minute details of well-made salesman's samples and doll-size furniture, and I always keep an eye out for unique pieces at flea markets and antique shops.
Salesman's samples were pint-sized version of products that late 19th-century and early 20th-century door-to-door salesmen would carry to so they didn't have to lug around the real thing, which, in the case of a cast-iron stove or a farm plow, could be quite heavy.
These models, generally 1/6 to 1/8 scale, were identical to the original in every way except size.
Outstanding examples can be a bit pricey. An inlaid ivory cabinet or 1890 carved drop-front desk will run you as much as the full-size pieces-- $3,250 to $3,800. I recently saw a magnificent 19th-century Abbot-Downing Concord Coach Wells Fargo Express salesman's sample for sale for $6,500.
However, if you keep a sharp eye out, there are still bargains to be found such as a Stromberg Carlson candlestick-style telephone for $145 and a 19th-century yellowware bowl for $57. I recently saw an adorable Burroughs Co. grandfather clock on ebay for $99.
If that's still too rich for your blood, concentrate on later samples created for dolls, especially handmade versions made for somebody's granddaughter out of old cigar boxes.
I've been able to snag myself some great early 20th-century miniature chests of drawers, cabinets and doll-size chairs for $10 to $30.
The big advantage in collecting miniatures is they don't take up a lot of room. I group mine in sets of three and make use of the tiny drawers to store my poodle's hair bands and barrettes.
Beware of reproductions, however. Most of the original salesman's samples were made in the United States. Don't confuse them with cast-iron reproductions from Japan, Korea and China.


No comments:

Post a Comment